Friday, October 16, 2009

Baby Class

I actually convinced Ryan to go to a Third-Trimester class with me to learn more about labor and delivery. I had originally signed up for the Lamaze class, but they had to cancel it because I was apparently the only one interested. I like to pretend that I'm not going to get an epidural when I go into labor... not because I believe in all that "natural birth" crap, but because I hear the recovery time is easier if you don't get one. The truth is, I have absolutely no tolerance for pain. So really there is no chance that I will pass up the medication... Anyway, because no one signed up, they moved us to the regular birth class, and the first one was last night.

I've been really excited about it though, and even though I knew Ryan would complain I put a guilt trip on him that actually worked. So last night was the first class and I learned three important things....

1. You want the kid to come out facing down and then your uterus actually twists him out during the contractions for the shoulders and hips.

2. Practicing Kegel exercises can actually prevent you from tearing

3. Ryan and I have no ability to relax as I learned from the techniques the instructor was giving us. (this kid is doomed)

I really can't wait for the next weeks class, when we get to watch a video of a woman giving birth. Awesome.

3 comments:

Alison said...

facinating. you aren't going to be one of those women that posts the entire story of the birth are you? from first contraction and everything. please tell me no...

nelliebrooke said...

I highly recommend being absent from the next class. I accidentally witnessed a birth once before I had scout. I wanted to burn my eyes. I do not ever. ever. ever. want to see that again. ever.

laurice. said...

I have to have c-sections. This will be my second and I made the mistake of watching one on the baby channel. Now I'm a little freaked out. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

We refinish the cabinets. I've done a lot of furniture it's not hard and it saves a ton of money.