Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Adventures in Humility

I'm a fairly athletic person. Was. I was a fairly athletic person. But since I've had Wilson I've put on a "few" extra pounds and haven't really worked out hard. I've gone running, and walking, and played volleyball a few times, but those are pretty easy sports to pick up. I grossly underestimated the difficulty of soccer.

A friend I used to work with at Home Depot put on Facebook that she was looking for some more girls to play soccer in her co-ed team. I played  in 4th grade... seems like a good fit, right? She assured me that she hadn't played soccer in about as long, and she was also really out of shape so I would still be welcome.

I had my first game yesterday. I assure you, I was amazing. But not really. The part that I keep thinking about and just laughing is: As soon as I got in I would start running and not kidding... my upper body would get ahead of me and I would fall over. This happened FIVE times.... in about two minutes. It was quite embarrassing. Let me reiterate that NO ONE was near me... I just started running towards the ball, and I would fall over. This left my knees pretty scraped up.

I somewhat got the hang of it after those first few minutes. Running I mean. But soccer really isn't a sport that you can be good at without practice. Plus it was probably the most athletic activity I could have tried to start with since having Wilson.

Although I'm not very good, and I can't run fast anymore, and I can barely stay on my feet, I had a lot of fun. And I look forward to my games every Monday night from her on out.

2 comments:

Brit Warner said...

I am crying right now thinking of that happening! Only you lacee :)

nelliebrooke said...

I am going to look into how I can get a camera crew to follow you around. I would make millions off of your shenanigans. Hilarious.