I have an irrational fear of lightning and thunder. I blame it on watching the movie Poltergeist as a kid. You know the part where her dad (er mom, it's been a long time) tells her how far away the lightning is from them by counting the seconds between the flash and the thunder? And then as she sits in her bed curled up in a ball terrified, she counts and it gets closer and closer... and THEN the tree comes in through the window and grabs her. TERRIFIES me. I also attribute my fear to two wonderful Aunts that are irrational themselves. As a kid we would spend our summers in Mexico where my mom grew up, and there were fantastic lightning storms there. My aunts would huddle everyone in the center of the house and freak out if someone had a tin can or metal earrings near them. We had laughed at them then, but I've somehow turned into that person. Especially since having a kid.
So there was a huge thunderstorm here last night (as most of you know) that woke me up at three in the morning. I did my counting thing and quickly found out that it was close. Real close. I couldn't go back to sleep. I just coward in my bed... counting. Freaking out. Finally it woke Ryan up and he got up to close the window... I sheepishly asked if he knew of my irrational fear. In his drugged haze he said he did... and then he held my hand until I finally fell asleep. Oh, after I had to cover my eyes with a pillow so I couldn't see the flashing lightning through my closed eyes. Puh-thetic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
awww. he held your hand. love that.
O.M.G.!!!!!! I am also terrified of thunder and lightning!!! That storm last night was seriously the worst I have ever heard in my 31 years of living. My dad used to sit with me in the kitchen with the lights off and do the whole counting thing too, and try to explain that it's just mother nature at her worst. Yeah, it totally didn't work! Terry was in the other room and quickly jumped into the bed with me and hugged me tight. And I was totally wearing my eye cover thingy too. Why do those crazy ass storms always happen at night?! I seriously hate them!!
Oh Lacee you crack me up!!! Good times in MX. Wish we could go back to those days!
Yes, those irrational aunts of yours are still at it so you have company. Lacee, it's no wonder your mother loved you so very much. Ms. Personality you are
Post a Comment