
I watched a movie... and it changed my life. Well, maybe. I might have to watch it every day for the rest of my life to keep motivated. It all started at book club when the girls started discussing the movie, Food, inc. What did I learn after watching? Oh, I'll TELL you:
1: One in three children born after the year 200o will have type II diabetes. SCARY.
2. Major meat companies DOUSE their meat in Ammonia and Bleach to "eliminate" bacteria
3. Corporations are EVIL. He who has the most money, wins.
4. Corn product is in EVERYTHING basically as a 'filler'
Now, I'm no vegetarian, but I do know that I really do consume too much meat. Well, now I have a plan... I'm going to plant a garden. Don't laugh... I really am going to! I just need to do some research and get going on it. Ryan is going to have to build some garden boxes (okay, you can laugh at that....) and I'm going to have to look in to what plants will grow and when... but we're going to do it. I'm also making an easy goal to LOOK at labels at the grocery store and really try NOT by foods with high fructose corn syrup (you know what they say... but really, do you?). I just did a quick run through of my pantry and almost cried. I now also will have to make pancakes from scratch AND bottle my own freezer jam.
So if you're not going to watch this movie... which you should, you really should. I will tell you the things they ask you to do at the very end:
1. Stop drinking sodas and other sweetened beverages
2. Eat at home instead of eating out
3. Support the passage of laws requiring chain restaurants to post calorie info on menus.
4. Tell schools to stop selling sodas, junk food, and sports drinks.
5. Meatless Mondays - go without meat one day a week.
6. Buy organic foods or sustainable food with little or no pesticides.
7. Protect family farms; visit local farmers markets (SLC opens in JUNE!!)
8. make a point to know where your food comes from - READ LABELS
9. Tell Congress that food safety is important to you
10 Demand job protections for farm workers and food processors, ensuring fair wages and other protections.
There... now if you ask me in a month if I'm still doing this... don't make fun of me if I'm not. I don't have a lot of willpower. Like I said, I might have to watch this movie everyday to maintain motivation.





11 comments:
When I move back, I'll help you stick to it! My parents have been planting gardens for years and my grandparents before that. They grown all kinds of stuff. And we don't eat out or drink soda, so if you're looking for people with practiced will-power, we're your folks!
i am pretty sure there is a thing in a book called Doctrine and Covenants that has a few suggestions for a healthy lifetyle...
I know it is scary isn't it. I buy meat locally at a really great price if you are interested. They flash freeze it in individual packing so you can only thaw/handle what you need. You can do it! I will admit I can't give up the Diet Coke (unless I am pregnant, then I can) when I read the label I see about 25 ingredients none of which are actual "food" but I just can't cut it out, it is my guilty pleasure!
OH I KNOW!!! I am jumping on the bandwagon here, and I am trying to eat "whole" foods. I didn't realize that corn was used as a filler so much, and I have an intolerance to corn, so to find this out answered a lot of questions for me. Good luck in your endeavors, and good luck to me too!
Dustin and I are totally getting into eating like that too. I honestly feel so much better eating hardly any meat. We should chat about it to keep each other motivated :) Good luck!
liberal hippie.
What is happening???
That is awesome! Go for it.
I saw a story on CNN.com about how the latest craze is do-it-yourself butchering. Like a bunch of friends go in together to buy a cow carcass and then chop it up into whatever cuts they want.
So maybe the next time we're looking for a weekend group activity...
(Seriously though, I'm absolutely terrified and in complete denial about all the chemicals I consume on a daily basis.)
This movie messed me up too. I want to live in Vermont and buy food from that nice farmer. Have you read "Fast Food Nation?" by Eric Schlosser? You will never set foot in McDonald's again.
I don't know if you guys look here at responses BUT....
BreAnna - read your email :)
Jill - I need to chat you up about some dinners I can cook that don't use meat! I have no idea where to start!
Maria - I haven't read that one. I started reading "In Defense of Food" a while ago, but I couldn't get into it. I need to try again, and then I'll look into that book!
Post a Comment