Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What to do when you're OCD

I've been up since three this morning... It's now 6:10am. Why you ask? Well, mostly because Wilson woke up to eat. But then when I tried to go back to bed my mind wouldn't shut off. Now that I'm not working I've been struggling to get my days organized and together. I've spent most of my time just sitting on the couch watching TV and playing with Wilson. This is less than conducive to a clean, tidy house. My mind just kept going over and over all the crap that I need to get done. So what do you do when your mind won't shut off? Make lists. So that's just what I've been doing for the last couple of hours.

I LOVE excel spreadsheets. I love making them, I love looking at them, I love the sense of accomplishment I get when I've completed one. Because I make REALLY good ones. I promise. I also love checking things off lists... I'm OCD in the strangest ways because it's only in certain aspects of my life. Certainly not cleanliness. Just ask my family.



The above is a sample of my latest and greatest feat. I love it. Now I just need to live it. I divided the chores up by things I need to get done on a daily/weekly/quarterly basis. Each day only has two chores on it so I don't get overwhelmed. The yellow days are my days of rest, and the green days are those that I have to go into work. (I know I said I was done, but they still need me occasionally. Okay, even that's a lie. They need me everyday for some little thing.) So today is the Wednesday of week 20 so all I have to do is one load of laundry and clean the 'guest' bathroom. The goal is to get the chores done before 10am so I can go do other things the rest of the day.

And now I hear Wilson stirring in his room, so I'm going to go cuddle with him. I'm creating a monster and I don't even care...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm OCD in the same way! And I organize my cleaning schedule too. I find breaking the chores up everyday means they actually get done. I also have the same sleeping problem...meaning I can't get my brain to turn off so I can get to sleep. I think your spreadsheet is pretty!

Maria said...

Wow, I need you to teach me Excel! I think that's a great OCD habit to have.

Shannon said...

great idea. I should do one.